Mr. Nash has over 30 years experience representing corporate and institutional clients in civil litigation disputes. He has acted as counsel in a wide range of commercial and insurance claims, including breach of contract claims. Mr. Nash has represented significant corporate clients in the defence of class actions and acted for insurers in a multitude of cases including all aspects of insurance-related work. He has extensive experience defending commercial litigation, product liability, social host liability, property damage, construction, personal injury, professional liability, municipal liability, and defamation claims as well as alternative dispute resolution, including mediation. At the trial and appellate levels, he deals regularly with the issues arising in the strategic management and conduct of complex multi-party and multi-jurisdictional litigation.
Client Work Includes:
- Successful defence of the Government of Canada in a lengthy trial involving significant breach of contract and breach of fiduciary claims.
- Counsel for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and related entities in connection with multi-jurisdictional Canadian diet drug class proceedings.
- Counsel for bicycle parts and accessories distributor in a major products liability case.
- Counsel for a leading communications network company in respect to the settlement of multi-jurisdictional shareholders class proceedings.
- Counsel for a defendant in British Columbia class proceedings relating to allegations of price-fixing in respect to HFCS.
- Counsel for an international retailer in a trademark infringement claim.
- Counsel for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with multi-jurisdictional class proceedings.
- Counsel for an international retailer in tainted pet food related class proceedings.
- Counsel for a large paper manufacturer in a fraud claim against a management employee.
- Counsel for an international retailer in British Columbia class action proceedings against beverage manufacturers relating to the collection of recycling and environmental levies on beverage containers.
Prior to forming Nash & Company (now Nash Johnston LLP) in 2006, Mr. Nash was the Litigation Chair and Managing Partner in the Vancouver Office of Ogilvy Renault, LLP, where he practiced from 1999 to 2006. He was a partner/associate with a leading Vancouver commercial insurance litigation firm from 1983 to 1999.
Mr. Nash is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, and has served as an Executive member and Chair of the Civil Litigation Section (British Columbia Branch) and the National Civil Litigation Section. He currently serves as the Co-Chair of the Class Action Section and is a member of the Civil Litigation and Insurance Sections of the Canadian Bar Association (British Columbia Branch). He has also been a guest lecturer for Continuing Legal Education and The Canadian Institute.